Sam Dancer is in the kitchen with Nick Massie preparing a fun, flavorful meal with ground turkey, vegetables and Thai spices.
Thai Turkey Throwdown
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh garlic, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste but typically 6 grams per pound of ground meat (so 30 grams in this case)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 pounds ground turkey
- 4 yellow onions, small dice
- 5 pounds carrots, shredded
- 5 pounds mushrooms, sliced or quartered
- 4 cans bamboo shoots, sliced and roughly chopped
- 4 cans water chestnuts, sliced and roughly chopped
- 4 cups light coconut milk, I look for the cheapest stuff that is only water and coconut
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup Sambal plus what you’ll use to garnish
- 1/4 cup fish sauce, I use Red Boat
- 2 large bunch cilantro, roughly chopped plus what you’ll need to garnish
- Heat olive oil in two 14″ saute pans over high heat. When oil runs like water when pan is tilted side to side, add the ginger and garlic and stir. Cook until garlic begins to toast, then add onions and a pinch of salt and stir to incorporate.
- Season the top side of the turkey with salt and pepper and place, seasoned side down in the oil, garlic and ginger. Season top side of turkey with salt and pepper. Lightly break up turkey. Cook for four minutes.
- Push all of the turkey to the center of the pan, add the carrots around the edge of the pan and cover carrots and turkey with mushrooms. Cook for five minutes, then begin folding all the ingredients together.
- Add bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and coconut milk and bring entire mixture to a simmer. Stir well, break up any turkey chunks, and when mixture has reached a simmer, season with Sambal and fish sauce.
- Stir one final time, then cut the heat. Finish with fresh cilantro and season one last time with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Portion out into individual containers, garnish with Sambal and cilantro. Refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 6 months. Bon Appetit!!
“Keep It Paleo!”