This is the first of the Throwback Thursdays where I pull a recipe from the vault and revamp it. You see, when I started this site, it took everything I had in me just to be able to post a video. So, some of the old posts are skimpy, even though their content is solid.
Today, I chose the Pecan Chicken Salad because it is one of my favorite make-ahead meals. If I had to recommend one meal, it would be a tie between this and Pastel de Papa. Although, we’ve got Butternut Squash Lasagne in the works, which may take the cake!
So, here are some updated pictures of the prep of this salad. And, on the member side, I’ve added exact block calculations in The Zone Zone. I’ve also updated the recipe so that it yields exactly 32 blocks of protein and carbs with 64 blocks of healthy fat.
Mixing It Up!
All Portioned Up!
Okay, guys. I hope you’ll make this one. It is like a love letter from me to you. I’ve done the homework and guarantee success and super tasty food if you follow the recipe as directed.
Alright, I’m off to Los Angeles to present to some CrossFitters on Paleo/Zone and deliver some Ice Age Meals. Have a great weekend and be sure to check back for my New Year’s Greeting – “How All Of Life Is Like A Train On A Track”.
“Keep It Paleo!”
(Got my Body Comp tested today using the Bod Pod…)
Paleo Chicken Pecan Salad
- 32oz. Chicken Breasts, Roasted, Chilled and Diced (cooked weight)**
- 8 Cups Red Grapes, Halved
- 8 Cups Celery, Small Diced
- 6 Tablespoons Honey
- ¾ Cup Massie Mayo
- ½ Cup Pecans, Toasted, Chopped and Chilled
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Poppy Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- Kosher Salt, To Taste
- Black Pepper, To Taste
- Prepare dressing by whisking together mayonnaise, vinegar, honey and poppy Seeds in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken, grapes, celery and pecans to the dressing and mix well.
- Season with Salt and Pepper once again.
- Enjoy immediately and/or portion out into 11 – 3 block portions weighing 280G each (as seen below).
** To roast chicken: season breasts with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper on both sides. Place on a sheet pan and roast at 350°F until they reach an internal temp of 165°F. Don’t overcook the chicken as their moisture is one of the keys to this recipe. Also, make sure chicken is completely chilled before mixing up the salad.
“Keep It Paleo!”
- We’ve got 32oz. cooked chicken breast. Purchase 3 pounds to yield 2 pounds after cooking. Boneless Skinless Chicken is: 1oz./28G per block
- 32 total protein blocks
- 8 cups of grapes weigh 1045 grams. Grapes are: 54G per block for a total of 19 Carb blocks.
- 8 cups of celery weigh 805 grams. Celery is 600G per block for a total of 1.33 Carb blocks.
- 6 Tablespoons Honey weigh 120 grams. Honey is 10G per block for a total of 12 Carb blocks.
- 33.6 total carb blocks
- 3/4 cup Massie Mayo weighs 167 grams. It is essentially pure olive oil. Olive oil is: 3G per fat block for a total of 56 fat blocks.
- 1/2 cup pecans weighs 53 grams. Pecans are: 4.5G per block for a total of 11.66 fat blocks.
- 67.66 total fat blocks
- This is pretty well balanced with a 2X fat multiplier. You can ditch a tablespoon of mayo and add a few pieces of chicken. But, if you prepare it as prescribed below, you’ll be in The Zone!!!
- I estimate one batch of this recipe to cost $22.00. Divided out, that comes to $.69 per block. Not too shabby!