This weeks plan consists of 1 breakfast option, 2 great appetizers, ribs, meatball soup and pot roast. If you will be attending a Holiday Party and need ideas, the stuffed mushrooms or shrimp crab cakes are both great options.
We’ve all got a busy couple of weeks leading up to Christmas. This is an easy time to make excuses and compromise your mealtime morals. I want to encourage you to stay on track and make wise decisions at every opportunity.
I have been in the Paleo Test Kitchen since Monday shooting videos for the upcoming year. I am very excited about the fresh content and look forward to getting back on track myself in the coming year. We plan to bring back the Paleo Cooking Challenge and to post two videos per week for the entire year. On top of that, we’ll be continuing the Meal Plans and we’d love your help. As Katie said above, we’ve added new incentives to prevent tester dropouts like we experience this week. If you are interested, hit her up and we’ll make the experience worth your while. Stay strong you guys, I have faith in you. Workout often, smile lots, and, at every opportunity…
“Keep It Paleo!”
Approximate Meal Plan Cost As Prescribed:
Chain grocery store (Kroger): $175.00
Warehouse store (Costco or Sam’s): $144.00
The amount you will spend will depend on your geographic location and how much you rely on bulk purchases. As an example, you can get 1 quart of extra light olive oil at Kroger for $19.99 or you can get 4 quarts at Costco for $16.50. You follow? Meat and produce will also be less at the warehouse stores, but might require you purchase more than you’ll need for this plan.
Customize Your Plan and Shop It Up!
I have created a customize-able grocery list in the form of an Excel spreadsheet. Even if you’re not good with Excel, I’ve set it up in a foolproof way that even “The Jo!” could handle. Follow these instructions:
- Open the document and click on the tab at the bottom that says “Menu item & Ingredient Brkdown”.
- At the top, you’ll see the number “1” in bold just below each menu item. You can change this number to correspond with the number of portions that you’d like to make. Say you want to make a double batch of the Sweet Chorizo Hash with Eggs and Guac, change the “1” below the Hash to a “2” and it will double the listed ingredients for you.
- Click back to the tab that says “Meal Plan 15.49 Grocery List” and your quantities will be updated.
- Print out the grocery list from the first tab only.
- Compare what you need to what you have on hand and finalize your list. Then, head to the grocery store and make your purchases swiftly and efficiently.
I want you to knock this out in one shopping session, two cooking sessions, and one short finishing session. I’ll explain these now, but want you to scroll down to read my notes on each meal below. They are listed under each picture.
In cooking session one:
- Prepare your Chuckwagon Brisket Pot Roast and place in your slow cooker, set the slow cooker on a foil lined sheet pan, and place it on your counter or in the garage to cook through the day or overnight.
- Prepare the Guajillo Coffee Rubbed Ribs. This will take 4 hours to cook. While it is in the oven, prepare the Balsamic Peach Compote. Eat a portion and store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Also while the ribs are cooking. Prepare and sear your meatballs for the soup you will add to the slow cooker tomorrow morning. Store the meatballs in the refrigerator overnight, allowing them to cool in the refrigerator before covering.
- Clean up the kitchen and pat yourself on the back for a day well done.
In cooking session two:
- Portion out the Pot Roast and refrigerate up to one week or freeze for up to six months. Clean out your slow cooker and load it up with the Albondigas. Place the slow cooker on a foil lined sheet pan and place it on the counter to cook during the day.
- Prepare the Sweet Chorizo Hash and enjoy this as your meal. If you have any leftovers properly store.
- Prepare the Carnes Asada Stuffed Mushrooms as an afternoon snack or meal. If you need to make the mayo, as a garnish, make this now. Properly store the leftovers. These will reheat nicely for a couple of days, but they won’t last that long, trust me.
- Once the Soup is done in the slow cooker, portion out and freeze for up to six months and/or refrigerate for up to one week.
- Clean up the kitchen and polish that sink!
In finishing session:
- Prepare the Shrimp Crab Cake and Pear Apple Chutney. Eat this for whichever meal you choose this fine day. Properly store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
- Sit back and take it all in. Your Paleo Bank Account is stocked and now you are a Culinary Ninja who is ready to tackle life with energy, clarity, and confidence. Be sure to tell your friends about PaleoNick.com!
Notes: This hearty recipe is sure to fill your house with an amazing aroma and your bellies with some great food. For some added flavor, be sure to sear off the seasoned brisket on all sides before adding to your slow cooker.
Notes: These rubbed ribs are a fantastic twist on the traditional rib recipe. Topped with the Balsamic Peach Compote, you are sure to be a happy camper once these babies touch your lips.
Notes: This classic Mexican recipe is a great slow cooker option for any cold winter day. Be sure to precook your squash before adding it to the slow cooker and do your best at achieving a nice caramlization on the meatballs.
Notes: This breakfast dish is sure to satisfy! As my brother Jason always says “Chorizo for President.” If you want to make more than one serving, be sure to change the “1” to a “2” below the Hash heading on the “menu and ingredients” tab on your grocery list spreadsheet. You can use any extra guac on the stuffed mushroom recipe below.
Notes: These scrumptious bites of goodness are SO GOOD! Bring them to your Holiday Party this month and blow the socks off your friends. Massie Mayo is a garnish on this dish, so if you don’t need to make a batch this week, be sure to change it in the grocery list.
Notes: These cakes are another great option for making for a Holiday Party. Paired with the Pear Apple Chutney (ingredients are included in the grocery list), you are sure to impress all your guests.