Nick Massie is joined in the kitchen by his boys, Jonas (“The Jo”) and Samson (“The Bro”), who help him whip up a quick and flavorful carnitas dish using an Instant Pot.
|Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
- 6 lb. carnitas meat or trimmed pork shoulder
- 6 tbsp. Cheechako Tako seasoning mix or spice mix listed below
- 2 yellow onions, julienned
- 2 c. orange juice
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- kosher salt, as needed
* Note: If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can simply combine all ingredients in a slow cooker
and cook on low for 8-12 hours.
- Turn Instant Pot on to “sauté” setting.
- Once pot is hot, add the olive oil, onions and a pinch of salt. Stir.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss pork with the spice blend until uniformly coated.
- Once onions have lightly caramelized, add pork to pot and stir.
- Top pork and onions with orange juice and place lid on pot.
- Press “cancel,” then press “manual” and set pot to high pressure. Set time to 35 minutes
- Once cooking is complete, divide pork and juice into 11 pint containers. Refrigerate for up to
5 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
“Keep It Paleo!”
Mexican Spice Blend:
Combine the following ingredients:
- 1 tbsp. ancho chile powder
- 2 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano leaves
- ½ tbsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. chipotle powder
Macro Information (per portion):
Protein: 57 g
Carbohydrate: 15 g
Fat: 47 g