Meatza was the recipe that started this all. Back in 2011, CrossFit HQ sent a crew to Aspen, Colorado to scope out the X-Games. On that trip, they made Aspen CrossFit their home and we ended up shooting this cooking video.
That was the impetus for starting this site and for posting a subsequent Thai Chicken Meatza recipe.
Today, I bring you a new style of pizza that involved no ground meat. This time, we pound it thin and a toothsome treat is the result. As always, this recipe is just a guideline. Switch up the sauces, the toppings, the salad, etc… Learn from the technique and make it your own.
Today is election day! I am going to vote Paleo for sure. If Trump wins, I’m leaving the country. If Hillary wins, I’m leaving the country. Just watch and see…
Have a great day, guys! Make the pizza, get out and vote, and by all means…
“Keep It Paleo!”
Chicken Crusted Pizza with Arugula Salad
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded out flat (see video for technique)
- Paleo Grind Ga Ga Garlic
- Drizzle of olive oil
Ingredients for the Toppings:
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2-3 large mushrooms, sliced
- ½red onion, julienned
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 tablespoon Paleo Greek Freak
- Green chiles
- Black olives
Ingredients for the Salad:
- 2 handfuls of arugula
- Olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch of Red chili flakes, to taste
- ½ Roma tomato, diced, to garnish
- Fresh basil, rolled and chopped, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Season flattened chicken with Paleo Ga Ga Garlic and drizzle with olive oil. Flip seasoned side down on a sheet pan, season top side and drizzle with more olive oil.
- Place sheet pan in oven to roast for 8-10 minutes
- While the crust is in the oven, heat a 14” cast iron skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Place bacon in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring to break up. Add mushrooms, onions, and kosher salt and pepper. Allow to cook until bacon is crisp, 4-5 additional minutes
- Remove chicken crust from oven and top with tomato puree and Greek Freak seasoning. Spoon toppings mixture on top of sauce, doing your best to avoid the bacon grease in the pan. Add green chiles and black olives
- Place sheet pan back into the oven to finish cooking, 10 additional minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the arugula, olive oil, lemon juice, kosher salt, black pepper and red chili flakes. Use your hands or tongs to toss the salad mixture.
- Remove pizza from oven and place onto a cutting board. Slice pizza into 6 pieces, top with salad mixture, tomatoes and garnish with basil. Enjoy!
“Keep It Paleo!”