- 4 large bananas, quartered the long way (i.e. cut in half so you have two banana length pieces, then cut those pieces in half
- ¼ cup banana liqueur
- ¼ cup dark rum
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 fresh mint tips, in ice water
- Whipped cream, as desired
- Vanilla bean ice cream, as desired
Preparation Instructions for the Port-wine Reduction:
- Scoop ice cream into serving dishes and return them to freezer.
- Prepare a cream whipper with heavy cream, charge it and place in refrigerator. You can also whip heavy cream by hand with a whisk, or with a stand mixer. Either way you choose to whip it, make sure the bowl and whisk are cold, and don’t forget to “whip it real good!”
- Place a 10” sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add butter and when it is half melted, and brown sugar and stir constantly until sugar is dissolved.
- Add bananas a flip/stir a couple times to coat, then add cinnamon. You don’t want to overcook the bananas as they will turn to mush, so be sure to have all ingredients ready to rock at this point.
- Add banana liqueur and dark rum. WARNING: Do not pour these straight from the bottle! Pour them into separate cups and use the cups to pour alcohol into a pan.
- If you are cooking over a gas stove, stir and tilt pan to flambé. If you have an electric or induction burner, use a lighter to light the alcohol fumes. Hit the lights, stir the pan to encourage the flame and prove your prowess as a Culinary Ninja!
- Bring to a simmer, kill the flame, pull the ice cream dishes from the freezer, top with bananas and tasty Foster sauce, finish with whipped cream and mint tip and Voila!
- Earn your ice cream.
“Keep It Paleo!”